Formation

Looking Back
The Divine Word missionaries arrived in New Guinea in 1896. Formation of local SVDs did not begin until 1978. There were many reasons for the slow acceptance of local men into the Society. With instruction from the Nuncio of that...

More

Wewak District

The Wewak District of the Society of the Divine Word (SVD) is entering its second century of service to the church of Wewak and to the people of the East Sepik Province. Fr Eberhard Limbrock SVD founded the Wewak Mission on the Windjammer seashore in 1912. Thanks...

More

Enga District

The first SVD missionaries Frs William Ross and Gerard Bus walked into the land of the Enga people in October 1947. Fr Bus returned in February 1948 to set up the first mission station at Pompobus. Catechists from coastal areas and from Simbu assisted the many SVD...

More

News